We wanted to take advantage of Earth Day to talk about one of the most important topics of our time: sustainability. We’ve come to the point where we’re aware that every purchase we make has an environmental impact, so why not make a conscious choice both for the planet and our projects?
With this in mind we wanted to showcase Piaval, a centennial company that back in 1919 founded its roots in the Friuli Venezia Giulia region in Italy. Since then the company has adapted with the times to continue growing and to stay competitive in the market. Nowadays this means being environmentally conscious and running a business in a sustainable manner.
How does Piaval stand out in this sector as well?
● By doing almost all the work within the Piaval factory, they buy the wood raw and every other step of the way is done by them, reducing transport emissions.
● The paint used is all water based, precisely for the health of the workers and of the environment, making the waste less toxic.
● Piaval’s roof is covered in photovoltaic panels which amount to ⅓ of the energy that the company uses.
● They have a water heater that doesn’t pollute and is fueled also by all the discarded pieces of wood from the furniture. Instead of throwing them away they recycle them for heat.
● All the wood they use is FSC (Forest Stewardship Council) which means that they meet the “gold standard” of ethical production. This wood comes from responsibly managed forests that don’t have a negative impact on the environment.
● They are CARB certified which assures that there is no formaldehyde in the wood products that they use.
● Last but definitely not least, Piaval adopted in its collection a new fabric that is made of plastic marine waste. Its name is “Oceanic” and comes in multiple colors and is a highly durable textile that has an aim: reducing plastic in our ocean! This incredible fabric has already won the HIP awards in the green materials category.
These are a few of the ways that innovative companies have taken social responsibility. They assure their customers that their investment in Piaval is not only aesthetically pleasing and extremely comfortable but also eco friendly and sustainable. Thank you Piaval for being eco-conscious and showing us how it's done!